The museum occupies a French-style palace built in 1920 that
was once the residence of Mohamed Khalil.
Mohamed Khalil was a devoted art collector who contributed
much to fine arts in Egypt. He died in 1953 and few years
later his wife also died after she had donated the whole palace
with its rare artifacts to the government to be turned into
a museum bearing the couple's name.
The museum was inaugurated for the first time in 1962 but
moved later in 1971 to another place. Meanwhile the palace
was being restored, though this process started only in the
late 1980s. In 1995 the museum was opened again after marvelous
Today the museum has a collection of matchless masterpieces
for famous European artists. There are about 800 works of
96 artists as well as a library with about 3330 books mainly
in Arabic and French languages.